Friday 20 March 2009

Life has new meaning....

...to me. On May 18th I will run out and play at Goodison Park, home to Everton FC the club I support. To say I am excited is an understatement, and my mind is working overtime imagining possible outcomes/incidents/goals. I can see myself bursting forward from midfield with a single-mindedness that is the stamp of the truly great. I ally pace and power as I leave my opponents in my wake. As I get about 30 yards from goal I let fly, and follow the flight of the ball as it heads towards the top corner of the net. As it flies in, I turn and reel away to celebrate, and look up to the stands to see my kids there cheering wildly. It is a precious, once-in-a-lifetime moment that will make life worth living.

The reality will probably be so different, as life very rarely allows you to realise your dreams. But I life in hope that I at least play well, and really enjoy the day. Daryl will be playing also and it will be a special day if we play on the hallowed turf in the same team.

Sunday is Mothers Day and so me, Philip and Ellie are heading into the city centre to pick up a gift or two. We are also hoping to go to the cinema if there is an early screening. It will be great to spend a few hours together, and much fun will undoubtedly be had. But I am also certain that my mind will be wandering at times, towards a date in May when, just for 90 minutes, I will feel like the most important footballer on the planet. I can only pray and dream that I can do myself justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment