Sunday 31 May 2009

Life goes on


Although we never lifted the cup, it has still been a great weekend, with a further triathlon progression. Everton lost out yesterday simply because they lacked the strength in depth of their opponents. That said, imagine Chelsea without Terry, Lampard and Drogba and you can get some idea of how the blues felt yesterday missing Jagielka, Arteta and Yakubu. It was always going to be difficult, and we almost made it harder by scoring so quickly. Chelsea, their pride stung, had 89 minutes to make amends. They did, but only after Saha missed a chance when the sides were locked at 1-1 which would have given us the lead. But it wasn't to be, and congratulations must go to Gus Hiddink, that rarity of a Chelsea manager who doesn't lack humility. His are very large boots to fill.

This morning was way more successful as I managed to swim my first mile in open-water. As a guest of The City of Liverpool swimming Club, I enjoyed pleasant company and expert tuition, and my technique came along leaps and bounds as a result. After just 45 minutes in the water I felt excited, confident and optomistic. Moreover, I felt the excitement of discovery as I immediately began setting my sites towards the half-ironman distance and beyond. Not since I joined Mossley Hill Athletics Club prior to starting my first marathon training have I felt such sporting butterflies. The sheer nature of the triathlon appeals to my love of diversity, whilst the non-impact nature of the training will help my ailing limbs and joints. I have a spring in my step which will be very useful tomorrow morning as I embark on 20 miles on the bike, followed by a 4 mile run. The road to the ironman starts tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment