Monday 18 May 2009

Match of the day


So, I can now say that I have played at at Goodison Park, and I have the photos, and the stiffness, to prove it. I am doing my best not to give myself a hard time, (as I always do) and am focusing on all of the positive aspects of todays event. It truly was a most memorable day on so many levels. Daryl and myself lined up on the same team, Philip walked out onto the pitch as a mascot, Ellie and Jane were in the stands cheering us on, and I played well, fully enjoying the run out, and providing some moments of quality . I should have scored, (I missed two chances, one glaring) I gave the ball away a few times, (rustiness) and I felt heavy, (by about two stone to be honest). But it was wonderful nonetheless, with playing on the best pitch of my career, (by a mile) to having DEVENEY on the back of my shirt adding to the occasion. To be treated like a professional footballer, albeit for a short time only, was fantastic, and has left me counting the days until we can do it all again.

The game itself went so quick it was over in a flash. I've never been so reluctant to leave the field of play, and I could have carried on for much longer. My fitness held up really well with my recent triathlon sessions paying dividends. Although lacking match sharpness I felt strong, and was running right up to the final whistle. I fully believe that I would have scored had the game ran for a further 10 minutes, as I was getting closer and closer. My sitter in front of goal was uncharacteristic as I shot with my right foot when I should, and usually would, have switched it to my left. As it was I quickly got on with the game, and shortly afterwards set up our second goal. I had also provided the pass for our first so I could claim two assists at least. I also felt more comfortable playing wide left in the second half as I know the position well. The opening 45 minutes were spent in central midfield, in direct opposition to two former professional players, one of which, (Joe Parkinson) could boast of an FA cup winners medal in his cabinet. I was impressed by how often they took the simple option, and they rarely gave the ball away. It was a salutary lesson in how top players play the game. I enjoyed the tussle, and I felt that I acquitted myself well. My head was held high when I finally, and reluctantly, left the pitch.

Following a quick shower we were ushered upstairs for a quick bite to eat and a well-earned drink. I then had the pleasure of having my photograph taken with 'The Butcher of Bilbao', the former Spanish International player called Goikoetxea. This is a man who earned his soubriquet by shattering the ankle of a young Diego Maradona back in the eighties. I am not normally impressed by fame but I felt that I wanted to meet this legend of European football. He was certainly more charming than when he played, and even attempted to get a kiss from Ellie for good measure. She however was having none of it, and offered him only the top of her head . She is no lover of reputations and, as she told me later, "he isn't my dad is he?." A wonderful sentiment from a most special day.

So many fantastic memories were made today and it would be hard to pick a favourite. If I was pushed I would choose the run I made from defence to attack in the middle of the first half. After collecting the ball in my own half I surged forward, and travelled 40 to 50 yards with the ball. Just for a fleeting moment I was Gazza in his pomp, switching the ball from one foot to another as I considered my options. When I finally made the pass it was intercepted, and the attack was halted in the process. But for three or four balmy seconds, as I ploughed a lone furrow through the centre of the pitch, leaving many overweight ex-footballers in my wake, I felt as good as I have ever done. It was worth it just for that. There was no happy ending, but sometimes there is no need for one. For today it was the process, and not the outcome, that mattered most.

No comments:

Post a Comment