Monday 22 June 2009

Life after the Liverpool Triathlon


Apart from a slightly tender backside, (the legacy of a lop-sided bike ride?) I feel pretty good. Working a night shift after the race wasn't great, but I managed to survive. The adrenaline from Sunday was still flowing so it helped to get through until morning. Six hours of sleep later and I am getting back to normal. But my imagination has been well and truly captured by the Triathlon, and the preparation for my next event has started already.

The Swim
=======
Leading up to the event I was terrified at the prospect of doing a one mile long open-water swim. Once I had practised however, (I did four swims in total) I found that I was quite looking forward to it. On the day I swam the course in 36 minutes, and I left the water feeling exhilarated, if not a little dizzy and tired. I think that, with some coaching, more lengths and much more training, I could bring that time down to below 30 minutes. It was probably my best performance of the day

The Bike
======
My concerns about the suitability of my bike were proved correct as I completed the course in 1 hour, 30 minutes. From the moment I cycled onto the course I was routinely overtaken, and it would have proved far more demoralising had it been a surprise. As it was I was ready for it, although it was no less frustrating. I actually felt that I was cycling well, and I never lacked effort at any point. But I just didn't have the hardware, and that prevented me dipping under three hours in total. I used the time on my bike well as I a) admired the many stunning bikes that were flying past at regular intervals and b) working out how I am going to finance the purchase of a new machine. I clambered off the bike in transition needing to run a 46 min 10k to achieve my pre-race target.

The Run
======
A solid if unspectacular run of 51:52 gave me my final finish time. I took the first lap very cautiously, allowing my legs to recover from the bike section and to gradually loosen up. I pushed it for the second and I finished strongly, milking the applause that came my way. Unlike a few running races I have entered, I immediately began to examine my performance, looking for areas in which I could improve. I was very positive about how I had fared, and I refrained from criticising myself for not achieving the time I had so hoped to get. The Triathlon bug has, like for so many others, bitten me hard.

Three disciplines gives every competitor a chance to shine, and the transition is a place to prove you are adept in changing clothes. Never before has towelling my feet taken on such importance, and my lack of talcum powder cost me 10 seconds at least. The sight of myself in a wetsuit, with every excess ounce of fat on display, has inspired me to get to grips with my food intake. The training of the last few weeks has finally started to pay dividends with a noticeable body shape change underway. Looking around at my fellow triathletes, one couldn't help but feel that becoming trim is essential if progress is to be made. That, and the acquisition of a new bike better suited to racing, will go a long way to help make my tri experience more positive.

Looking to the future, I have made the following plan which I hope will lead to the Ironman distance in four years time. It is open to change, and I plan on getting some expert advice from those who have done it over the coming weeks and months. But for now, the plan is as follows;

Rest of 2009 to early 2010 - base training. This will include getting some further swimming and cycling coaching.
Spring 2010 - Olympic Distance tri around March/April.
June 2010 - Liverpool tri again, (aiming for around 2 hrs, 45 mins).
Rest of 2010 - early 2011 - further base training.
Mid 2011 - Half-ironman distance.
Rest of 2011 - base training.
Spring 2012 - half-ironman event.
June/July 2012 half-Ironman event
Rest of 2012 - Mid 2013- Ironman specific training.
SOMETIME IN MID TO LATE 2013 - IRONMAN

That's the plan anyway. Looks good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment