Tuesday 28 April 2009

Going up.

The weekend saw the 08-09 football season draw to a close, and it ended on a high note for the Marshalls first team as we secured promotion to the second division of the West Cheshire League. A truly monumental effort over the last couple of months saw us secure 24 points out of possible 27. With all of our rivals regularly dropping points, we were able to clinch the runners up spot, and guarantee ourselves second tier football from August onwards. Considering the team has only been in existence for 2 seasons, and my own involvement as both player and Assistant Manager has been limited to this season, it is a genuine achievement, with the promise of much more to come. Yet, when the final whistle blew on Saturday, and promotion was finally confirmed, I experienced mixed emotions which threatened to spoil my celebrations.

Football has always played a major role in my life, both as a source of pleasure, and as a constant reminder of my short-comings. Early promise shown was never fulfilled as I lost interest and, most importantly, lost respect with myself and my playing career. Looking back I can draw few positives from my playing days as an adult, and I stopped playing before I reached 30. Parenthood revived my love for the game when Philip started playing as a wide-eyed 5 year old. When my offer to help run the Under 7s football team he had been selected for was accepted, I was back involved, and slowly falling back in love with football. I took my level 1 and 2 coaching awards, began regularly attending games at a variety of levels, and even played a few times, my new-found fitness, borne out of my running career, proving invaluable. My self-respect soared as I reminded myself that I could still play at a reasonable level, and I accepted an offer to become Assistant manager to the first team last summer, running alongside my job as manager of Philip's team. This season has been fantastic as I made 10 appearances in the team, scoring 2 goals along the way. I have learnt about player-management, the importance of preparation, and I have impressed myself and others with the level of devotion and commitment shown. The season, which at one point looked like it would end in disappointment, finished with a fanfare as we clinched runners-up. Whilst proud of the role I have played, and I genuinely believe I have made a significant contribution, I can't help feeling that I wish I had sorted myself out earlier, and I would now be looking back on a career to be proud of. Unfortunately I cannot do that, although I will enjoy many more special moments in the future I'm sure. But I wish it was 1990 all over again, only this time I would respect both myself and the game I love.

Watching the players dance around the pitch in delight, spray each other with fizzy wine in the dressing rooms, whilst looking forward to playing in a prestigious and competitive league, I comforted myself with the thought that by the time Philip reaches 18, we will hopefully be in an even higher division. The hard work being put in now will be reaped by the likes of my son and others as we have the ambition of playing non-league football. With a nucleus of young, (late thirties) Committee members, and with a sound financial infrastructure finally being put in place, the future is extremely bright. I just hope that this feeling in my stomach, a mixture of both sadness and regret, will finally be resolved, and I will be able to enjoy my involvement in football once again without constantly looking back in anger. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment